The iMessages that are saved on your iPhone are automatically backed up to iCloud as well. What this means is that you can download the messages saved on your iPhone onto your computer’s hard drive, but you’ll need to know how to manage iCloud and your Messages app. It is easy to back up your iPhone messages to your computer. All you need is the right software and your Apple ID login.
- Open “Settings” on your iPhone .
- Open “iCloud” on your iPhone.
- Click on “Backup.”
- Select the type of backup you want, either “My entire device” or “Messages.”
- Select how much space to use: 100MB, 200MB, 300MB or 500MB (you can change this amount at any time).
- Enter your Apple ID info and follow the prompts.
The Messages app automatically backs up your conversations to iCloud, but you can also manually back up your iMessage history by heading over to this link on your computer.
What is the difference between deleting messages from my iPhone vs iCloud?
The main difference between deleting iMessage from iPhone vs iCloud is – If you delete messages from your iPhone, they will be permanently deleted and will no longer exist in any form on the device. However, iCloud backups of these messages will be retained in case you need them again.
Read Also: iMessage iPhone app
How to Access, Back up and Download iMessages from the iCloud Backup File
iCloud is a service that Apple provides to its customers to back up their data. This service can be used for backing up iMessages as well.
Here is How to Access, Back up and Download iMessages from the iCloud Backup File:
- Log in to your iCloud account and click on “Find My iPhone” option.
- Select “All Devices” from the dropdown menu on the left side of the screen.
- Select your device from the list and click on “Restore Backup”.
- A new window will open with a list of all backups available for this device. Select one of them and click on “Restore”. button.
- A new window will open and ask you to confirm whether you want to restore all of the messages on your device or just a subset. Click “Restore” button again and begin restoring the backup to your iPhone.
- All of your messages will be restored on the new device once it is connected to iCloud account.
How to Extract and Export iPhone SMS & MMS Messages from iTunes Backup Files (.db file)
In this section, we will show you how to extract and export iPhone SMS & MMS messages from iTunes backup files. There are two ways to extract iPhone SMS & MMS messages from iTunes backup files: one is by using a third-party tool, and the other is by using the built-in features of iTunes. The third-party tool is more convenient because it can extract all types of data from your iTunes backup file, not just SMS & MMS messages. The downside is that it cannot export data in bulk like the built-in feature of iTunes can.
Extract iPhone SMS & MMS Messages from iTunes Backup File:
Step 1: Download and install the third-party tool on your computer. You can use iExplorer for this; it is free and easy to use. If you have any issues with the installation, please check out our guide of how to install 3rd party software on Windows PC .
Step 2: Copy the iTunes backup file that you want to extract messages from to the program folder of iExplorer or any other similar third-party tool.
Step 3: Launch the third-party tool and select “iTunes” as the program location.
Step 4: Wait for a list of files in your iTunes backup file to appear, then select every message in the list.
Step 5: Copy the extracted messages file to your computer, then open it with Notepad or another text editor on your computer.
Step 6: Go to the extracted messages file and find out the whole number of digits in the “PST” section, then copy that number of digits and paste it into online texting app like WhatsApp, WeChat or Line.
iMessages are a new way to communicate with friends, family and colleagues. Unlike texts or emails, imessages can be seen as soon as they are sent. This is because they are sent over the internet and not through a text message service that has to be processed by your phone company. However, unlike texts or emails, imessages cannot be saved on your computer. However, you can try any of the methods mentioned above and make it work for you. If it works, kindl let us know in the comments.